Red balau (Shorea spp.)
Origin of harvest
Thank you for your interest in DNA Lumber® red balau decking from Simmonds Lumber. We use independent third party verification to ensure that our red balau decking consistently meets our clients’ expectations of species, legal trade, and origin.
Benefits of verification
WE BRING YOU PEACE OF MIND.
Our verification system makes sure that the harvest, transport and manufacture of the product comply with local regulations, and the logs that are used to manufacture our products all fall into the red balau trade group. Along with our experienced graders on the ground, this brings unparalleled assurance of quality, legality and traceability for every piece of timber.
we take our due diligence seriously.
Due diligence is a continuous process. Our verification system consists of a series of controls to consistently maintain product quality and compliance with local regulatory requirements.
An independent third party has conducted a comprehensive risk assessment on this product. This has included:
• supply chain analysis to assess the level of traceability back to forest of harvest
• compliance of all entities in the supply chain with Indonesian legal requirements.
• identification of any risk of species or origin substitution along the supply chain.
The following controls have been implemented to mitigate any risk identified:
WOOD ANATOMY (MICROSCOPIC) ANALYSIS
Wood anatomy testing is done to ensure that the timber used in production is red balau. This helps ensure consistency of raw material used. The frequency of testing is determined based on ISO inspection guidelines.
As DNA verification tools become available, these will be applied to allow even higher levels of confidence in species verification.
An independent third party visits the factory at least once a quarter to conduct:
• Product "backtrack" to match product output with raw material (logs) input on a randomly selected sample of product bundles. The number of bundles randomly selected for verification is calculated based on ISO inspection guidelines.
• A log reconciliation audit to match log purchase, transport and factory receipt records. Barcodes physically attached to each log, issued by the Indonesian Forest Department, are sampled from logs in the log yard and verified. The number of logs selected is also based on ISO inspection guidelines.
• A review of log procurement and production processes, in order to monitor changes in practices that may impact supply chain risk.
DOCUMENT TRACEABILITY CHECKS
Frequent, random document checks are performed on manufacturer log purchase, log transportation, log delivery, production records and product export records. This process verifies the legal purchase, transport and harvest of all log supply.
PRODUCT VERIFICATION LABELS
Each individual bundle of verified product is labelled. This label includes a unique product verification code. With this code, all verified supply chain information of the associated product can be made available on request.
We have our own timber graders with years of experience on site at sawmills to maintain our very high standards of quality and consistency of the products we supply.
Find out more
Through an independent third party verification system, we demonstrate industry-leading due diligence. For more information about Simmonds Lumber and our other DNA Lumber® products, visit our website.
Request further information about a verified shipment below.
DNA Lumber® products have been verified using Nature’s Barcode™, an independent third party verification system.
Copyright © 2017 Simmonds Group Pty. Ltd. All rights reserved.
DNA Lumber® is a registered trademark of Simmonds Group Pty. Ltd.
Nature's Barcode™ is a registered trademark of Double Helix Tracking Technologies Pte. Ltd.